Thursday, September 18, 2008

Juneau The Dog






This week my mom and I went to the Humane Society of Charlotte and adopted a dog. I have a contact who provides Pet Therapy to my kids at work and also works for the Humane Society. She was able to pick out two for me to check out. It was a very overwhelming experience. For obvious reasons, it was hard to not adopt ever single one of those dogs. It was also heartbreaking and scary for me to take this dog home. HeeJun loved loved loved dogs. Dogs loved him right back. They had an understanding. My parents' dog, Gabby, loved him more than anything when he was around. He let her have freedom and would pet her all day. Once, just once, Gabby snapped at HeeJun when he was trying to save a bone from her- Her mouth was getting all blooody and messed up from how hard she was chewing on it. HeeJun was appalled that she would do such a thing, and Gabby seemed to feel ashamed. Cute. It would have been so wonderful to see him as a Dad. Incredible.
I digress. It was so emotional for me to make a decision of which dog was going to come home with me, I finally turned to my mom and asked her. She cried. We picked an Australian Shepherd Mix. He is 6 years old and amazingly calm and loving. On the way home, I sobbed the whole way. I was so sad that HeeJun was missing this and it was also a huge reminder of all the changes taking place. This is the first big change since...and it was hard. It was also scary. I don't have HeeJun now to help me with this dog. I felt bad and guilty because adopting a dog should be a joyful and fun experience, but I could not give the dog that kind of welcome. He has been so great, though. I worried all night about him pooping in the house and he just went to sleep like "woman, I got this. I know what I'm doing." He is playful for about 10 minutes and then just wants to sleep next to me or sit right in my lap. I named him Juneau, after the city in Alaska that we recently visited. When I told my doctor a while ago that I was going to Alaska and that there was a hope that I might get pregnant there, I joked that we could name the baby Juneau. I know HeeJun would love this dog. I can imagine him running around our house having Juneau chase him, laughing.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

So, I discussed this with Sadie and she thinks it is a wonderful thing that you are doing for Juneau. You and I both know the amazing things a dog can do for someone's spirit. The two of you are both starting something new and you can depend on each other. Plus, if you can handle Sadie pooping on your floor for a weekend, Juneau will be a breeze... I miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your sweet new dog!

Sweet Momma Bones said...

He has got to be the cutest dog ever--not to mention one of the luckiest! He has a cool name too. I think you did the right thing for you and for the dog. It will do you both good he needs you and you need him, perfect match1 We love you erica if you need aything let us know.

Rockie said...

That looks like a pretty amazing dog. And looks like he's already got some tricks. Adopting a dog that's already house-broken is really nice. I hope he brings you some sweet doggy companionship!!!!